Beef goulash with carrots and sweet potato is a hearty dish. The beef, which is certainly the anchor of the recipe, is browned before stewing to build more flavor and in the
Ingredients (Serves 2-3)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 500 grams stew beef, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 3 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Sea salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
1. Place a large pot over medium high heat and add olive oil.
2. Add chopped onions and minced garlic. Stir frequently, sauté until brown and fragrant.
3. Add beef and allow to cook until beef develops a nice brown exterior on all sides.
4. Add carrots, peppers and sweet potato. Stir.
5. Pour in the beef broth and stir to deglaze the pot. There is nice beef flavor on the bottom after browning the meat.
6. Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer and cover. Allow to cook for 45-60 minutes or until beef is fork tender and sweet potatoes begin to fall apart.
7. In the last 10 minutes of cooking, combine cold water and arrowroot powder in a small bowl. Stir into the stew slowly to thicken. You may not need all of the arrowroot mixture.
8. Add Worcestershire sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper.
9. Ladle into bowls and serve.